When you walk into a baby shop as a pregnant and please g-d soon-to-be mother, you can get really overwhelmed. You are stunned with the amount of things that you clearly know nothing about, are speechless about all the products that you can’t imagine knowing when or how to use. And if your partner is with you, I can bet your unborn child on it that he will be overwhelmed with how much this shop is going to cost. All he thought he was coming for was a white cot, matching change table and maybe a pram.
So here is a list of things that you DON’T need:
1. Wipe Warmer – What we are saying to our kids when we buy these is, “your mummy is going to protect you from every little second of discomfort. You are forever going to be known as a cotton balled kid – wrapped up so tight, and yes I may even put you in a bubble. Forever”. The normal wipes are really not that cold.
2. Bottle Warmer – It’s not that this is such a silly invention – it’s not really. It’s clever. I just urge you to have a serious think about it before you use it. Once you start – you will always have to warm every bottle up. Let me say it again – every.bottle.up. Most kids will have bottles till at least 2 years old. I suggest try giving it at room temperature first because once you start using it – you can’t go back!
3. Special Nappy Bin – These are expensive and need special bags for them. Special bags that can only be bought from the special baby store. So no chance of a late night of ducking out to get more. You have to be organized for this one. And just because you are an organised person now, does not necessarily mean you will be post bub.
4. Trolley Seat Cover – I am sure that the Coles or Kmart Trolleys have every single bug in them. They have seen colds, gastro, sticky chocolaty fingers – the works! But… your child is going to be exposed to all these things eventually so I feel its better to expose them and let them get used to it. Unless you are planning on then also sending them to day-care and then kindergarten with trolley covers for the chairs, then I wouldn’t buy it now.
5. Bath thermometer – Just trust your hand. You will be able to tell the temperature just by putting your hand in. The funny thing is that most the Bath Thermometers actually reveal their temperature at the bottom of it, so you have to put your hand in to scoop it out and look at it. Just have a feel then.
6. Knee Guards – We all learn to crawl and our knees are still working aren’t they? Let them toughen up a little, they’ll be FINE!
7. Baby powder – I don’t even really know what this is for? If someone else knows then feel free to enlighten me.
8. Sock Ons – I mean really.. Guards to keep their socks on? Yes you lose a sock here or there but please! I actually have no words!
9. Bumbo – I admit it, I had one. What a waste of money – their legs get stuck in it and even they don’t look comfortable. I am convinced that one day these will be pulled off the shelves and deemed unsafe. I know some people swear by them but only for about 10 seconds. And then you are stuck storing these awkward little coloured blobs. Save your money… (Or if you are really interested in one, ask for it as a present so you won’t have that dreaded buyer’s regret).
10. Peepee Teepee – I don’t have a boy, but understand how the male anatomy works. And I have seen my friends occasionally peed on. But maybe just use a towel? Just seems a little bit like a useless invention really doesn’t it?
Feel free not to take my advice at all on any or all of these. Except the wipe warmer – trust me…you don’t need it!